May 26, 2016 Lead Platform Engineer
As lead platform engineer, you will be working to strengthen our distributed compute infrastructure, which our engineers use to deliver computation to customers via web services. You will also help maintain our internal compute infrastructure, which our professional-services team uses to process client data, and our engineering team uses to run experiments, evaluate changes before merging, and detect regressions. We’ve developed a system called G.U.T.S. to coordinate the processing, with computation in Python, and everything else – customer-facing REST endpoints, coordination, deployment, and monitoring – in Node.js.
You’ll lead the platform engineering squad, while interacting and coding in a way that is generously connected to the entire engineering team. The VP Engineering acts as product owner. (We’ve organized our squads in a manner heavily inspired by Spotify.)
- Build distributed infrastructure to support API consumers
- Build distributed infrastructure to process scientific experiments on large datasets
- Design and implement monitoring, alerting, and automatic scaling of our infrastructure
- Debug and optimize existing and new code
- Coordinate the work of 2–3 engineers and ensure the squad functions smoothly
- Mentor and lead by example and influence
- Work independently and as a team, participating in code reviews
- Pick up new technologies and learn on the go
- Write awesome code that you can be proud of!
Several years of professional software development, including experience with:
- Databases, message queues, and cloud storage (Mongo, Redis, SQS, S3)
- Platform as a service (Heroku)
- Container-based deploy and cluster management (Docker, Quay, Amazon ECS, Kubernetes)
- Application- and system-level monitoring and alerting (Datadog)
- Good sense of modern architecture (12factor, service orientation)
- Confidence in testing a platform or distributed system
- Ability to identify and fix distributed bottlenecks and bugs
- Experience solving problems of concurrency in distributed systems
- Experience designing, documenting, building, and scaling APIs in a production environment
- Proven leadership experience and strong communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to strengthening other engineers
- Good understanding of the kinds of problems that afflict living code
- Curiosity, a collaborative spirit, and an appetite for adventure
- Current authorization to work in the United States on a full-time basis
- Basic experience building web interfaces (React, Sass)
- Familiarity with Python
- Familiarity with ES6
- Functional programming experience (Scala.js)
- Experience with high-performance distributed computation (ZeroMQ)
- Comfortable at the interface between the physical and virtual worlds (the metric system, high-school geometry, algebra, thinking in 3D)
- Easily accessible office in Union Square, NYC
- Flexible vacation and work-from-home policies
- Fantastically smart, energetic, and fun team
- In-office 3D scanners, for all your 3D scanning needs!
More than anything, we are looking for someone who will be passionate about what we are doing, and who is genuinely excited to come into the office and works hard to tackle tough problems.
Working at Body Labs is fast-paced, fun, and supportive. We love the adventure of innovation. Come join our team and help shape the future of body-centric design and applications.
We welcome people of any gender identity or expression, race, skin color, ethnicity, age, size, nationality, sexual orientation, ability level, neurotype, religion, elder status, family structure, culture, subculture, political opinion, education level, identity, and self-identification. We welcome activists, artists, bloggers, crafters, coders, wannabe-coders, designers, entrepreneurs, documentation writers, journalists, sysadmins, teachers, ordinary people, extraordinary people, and everyone in between.
If you’re excited about our mission and our technology, please get in touch at JOBS@BODYLABS.COM!